[LargeFormat] Tumbleweeds Night Shots and Barrel Lenses (was Re: no subject)

LNphoto largeformat@f32.net
Wed Aug 20 20:12:07 2003

I for once I had the perfect set up for the situation.....an f2.9 aero
ektar on a Crown and a Heiland battery case with a "clover leaf" head
(three press 25s at a time!)  Rough guide number of 550 at 100 iso.

I managed to shoot my neighbor's greek revival house..flat on at both
f2.9 and f5.5   and the "down town" section of my little hamlet before
running out of both flash bulbs and the police's patience.(boy to they
get nervous seeing bright white flashes of light coming from city
hall!)  The downtown area was shot obliquely and will have a shallow
depth of field, but I wanted to see just how far I could throw that
light--the focused part was roughly 200 feet from the camera.  Yes I
could have stopped down to f16 but if I do that I could have used a
tessar or dagor which is much lighter.

RE: Skyline.

I seriously thought about trying it with the Detroit skyline, but there
was a three hour wait to get into Canada, no assurance that Windsor
police would let me into the riverfront park and I didn't have bail
money with me incase the cops got twitchy, so instead my family pitched
the tent in the back yard and I baked bread in a dutch oven with the
last of the charcoal.

I noticed none of the Detroit papers ran a skyline shot.  BTW since the
moon was near full, there weren't a lot of stars out. It was strange,
all this time I was always told that it was the 'city lights' that
obscured the stars, that night I saw otherwise.