[LargeFormat] Two Part Developer

Stuart Phillips largeformat@f32.net
Mon Aug 18 09:38:08 2003

Do you mean developers like Diafine? I used it a lot but stopped using it .
It had a number of advantages:

Faster film speeds
Ability to process more than one film type at once in the same tank.
Very long life
Practically no cost
No need to use a stop bath
Ability (for Diafine) to process C-41 film like XP-2
No nead to time or take temperature within reason
Standard temps are higher than with many other processes - useful if it's
hot.

I stopped using it because I started deliberately to use slower film (such
as Efke 25 in 120 or Agfa APX 100 in 4x5) and also supsected that I would
get better grain with a less gneral developer.

I would still use it if I were going on a travelling photo vacation.  Take
the Diafine with you and some fixer and you can develop easily in the hotel
room. I'm just not comfortable bringing exposed film through airports.
Others might choose to take precautions and process (better maybe) at home.

I think Diafine is worth trying. If it gives results that you are
comfortable with,  then it's very convenient.