[LargeFormat] Ziploc Bags in the UK

Tim Atherton largeformat@f32.net
Fri Aug 8 12:06:05 2003

> > Having tried just about all of the varieties of supermarket sealing
> > fridge bags in an effort to replace some of my aging Ziploc bags, I
> > now give up. None of them are the equal of the Ziploc bags I use for
> > film holders and film.
> >
> > In the UK it seems that Ziploc bags are not readily available, even in
> > Asda (now owned by Walmart). Does anyone know where Ziploc bags might
> > be available in the UK?

My dad went nuts in the supermarket when he came across here last summer -
he's the kind of guy whop smokes a pipe with several different pouches and
odd associated gizmos, travels with the equivalent of a small medicine chest
in his suitcase, as well as being a photographer (with old home made "shammy
leather" lens cases made from shammy's from Halfords etc).

He couldn't believe you could buy all these cool self-sealing bags right
there in the store - and for pennies (this being CDN$ vs. UKPound...).

It drove my mother crazy when he was trying to stuff all these packets of
empty, unused ziploc bags into their suitcases with limited weight
allowances when she wanted to take home "real" gifts and souvenirs....

Oh, and being a Brit, with their inherent fascination with the weather, he
was also mesmerized by the fact that we had several all-weather channels.
That really drove us all nuts when he managed to get hold of the remote...!

I've always thought importing Ziplocs to the UK would be a good business
opportunity... (in fact, when I moved to Canada 15 years ago there were a
whole bunch of things I thought "hey that's cool - it would have been neat
if you could get those in the UK" - of course, now the internet makes all
this kind of thing so much easier I've forgotten what they all were :-)  )

tim