[LargeFormat] Edward Weston Exhibit

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Aug 2 09:41:05 2003

  For those in the Los Angeles Area the Huntington Library
in San Marino (near Pasadena) has a major exhibit of Edward
Weston prints ongoing. It continues until early October.
  The prints are from the Huntington's collection. They
cover work done in the 1930's to early 1940's, not a
complete retropective.
  I found the prints interesting primarily for their
artistic vision. While many are excellent prints I found
they are generally a little dark for my taste. This may be
partly an artifact of the rather low illumination needed to
preserve them. However, the Huntington has also published a
book containing most of the pictures on exhibit and I find
the reproductions are often better than the originals. Some
others viewing the exhibit also remarked on this.
  The prints are entirely 8x10, probably all contact prints
from large negatives. From the surface sheen at least three
kinds of paper were used. In previous Weston exhibits I've
seen some of the prints were his and some were Cole Weston's
from his father's negatives.
  I strongly recommend this exhibit to anyone who can
attend.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA