[LargeFormat] Intro; filter placement

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Fri Aug 1 09:38:17 2003

If you've ever worn clip on sun glasses and have the sun hit at an
angle, then you can appreciate why nearly all of my filters are put on
the rear of the lens.

rear mount has some BIG advantages

1. there is no internal reflection, so if a gel filter isn't perfectly
flat, you won't notice.

2. Rear elements are usually smaller, so, depending on what lenses
you'll end up with, it will be cheaper.

There are some disadvantages

1. Polarizers are difficult to adjust when they are inside.

2. If you tend to put your camera in precarious places-- the middle of
a creek/river with large, moss covered bolders,  then it's best to
mount every thing up before you jump in rather than try to put a filter
on in the middle of the river, this means that you'll have to focus and
compose through the filter.

So I go both ways on this...  When I'm shooting for publication and am
on firm ground with assistants and the what the color meter says is
golden, then filters are put on the back.  When shooting sunset/sweet
light and filters have to be constantly adjusted, then they go on the
front.   When I'm out in the back country with my 5x7 2d and it's just
me and my film, I'm usually shooting black and white and have a green
red and yellow filter in my pocket... They get hung on the front.