[LargeFormat] Studo stands for LF, try a Polaroid MP4XL stand...

tripspud largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jul 29 13:48:17 2003

Hi!

      I'vc finally purchased an Polaroid MP4 camera stand:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2940097029&category=629

     It's going to support my modified 5x7 Seneca:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2940097029&category=629

with it's 135mm/6.3 Wide Field Ektar:

C:\My Documents\WF Ektar 135.jpg

      Though this is a copy camera for 4x5 Polaroid, the item I've purchased
doesn't include the camera, but the accessory to mount other cameras, not
only 35mm ones.  As the Seneca only weighs 5 lbs., should not be a problem.

     The MP4XL stand will not be used for copying.  I plan to attach four
casters
to the base, so the unit can be wheeled about the studio.  The whole reason
for this is the fact the camera can now be placed quickly at any reasonable
height and wheeled to position.  I'll remove the electrical and holders for
the
lights from the MP4XL.

      Trying to make a change in position with a tripod in the studio is not
the
best answer.  Finding one of those ancient photo stands that weigh a ton
was not a good answer, as the camera stand does not need that
robust a stand, but needs the hei

      I've owned a complete Polaroid MP4XL in the past, used for copying,
so I think I know what I'm buying.  These MP4s are available for reasonable
all the time since digital.

      My studio (it's only an apartment) has four windows  which provide
great natural light.  I hope to try some still life type shots to gain some
experience with the gear and only venture outside after I've gotten
the knack.

       I've got the Panatomic-x cut to 5x7 (from a 1000' aerial roll).  Pan-x
is slow and I'll test for reciprocity.  Traditional still life subjects I'll
try
first, like fruit and vegetables.  The window light is quite nice.

      The 135 WF Ektar gives a large magnification when the Seneca's
bellows are fully extended to it's 14".  I think it will perform well.

      I'll post again in a few months as things move along.  This is a great
group!

Cheers,

Rich Lahrson
Berkeley, California