[LargeFormat] aero ektar

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jul 29 11:42:13 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph O'Neil" <joneil@multiboard.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 8:28 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] aero ektar

> At 10:35 AM 29/07/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >Oh!  If only I had known that 20 years ago! :)
>

> >>        You forgot to add that after 6 months use, due
to the radioactive
> >> elements, men no longer need a vasectonmy.
>
>          argh - darned near spit my coffee all over my
computer screeen
> laughing so hard when I read that.  :)
>
>          A bit more serious - I actually have one of these
lenses, but have
> not mounted or tried to use it yet.  it's a BIG lens, I
htink coverage is
> supposed to be 9x9", and mine has an iris but no shutter.

  This is the 12" version. The 7" is much more common and
covers about 4x4. It was originally mounted in a camera
which could be hand held. While large and heavy it is
possible to mount one on a Speed Graphic providing some
auxilliary support is provided for the lens. This
arrangement was used for field work with low speed color
film in the late 1940's.  The back shutter of the Speed
Graphic eliminates the need for a shutter on the lens.
  I think the original aerial cameras had focal plane
shutters also.
  The 12" Aero Ektar is indeed a big chunk of glass.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com