[LargeFormat] A Ban on Whaling

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jul 22 10:56:02 2003

Dear Karl,

     Thank you for asking. Pom is a term of endearment used by Australians
toward the English inhabitants of Great Britain. It has many legends
attached to it - the P.O.M. is sometimes supposed to stand for Prisoner of
the Motherland. There are worse versions too, but I faint when I type them.

    Pommie is both adjective and noun. As in Pommie Basket*. There is a
famous Australian song entitled " All Pommies Are Baskets " sung to the tune
of " The Black Velvet Band " that is used to entertain fellow travellers on
coach trips. You would be surprised how just a little of this entertainment
can go a very long way.

     Uncle Dick

* Can you say Euphemism?