[LargeFormat] Re: Tips on Architecture photographs

Stan McQueen largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jul 14 13:07:38 2003

At 09:01 PM 7/13/2003, you wrote:
>>This raises an interesting point. Depending on which country you are in,
>>you are will certainly be infringing the copyright of the architect if
>>you take unauthorised photographs of his/her building. In general, non
>>specific streetscapes are allowed without permission but photographs of
>>individual buildings are not.

In the US, I don't believe a building can be copyrighted. The architect's
plans can be, and probably are, copyrighted, but not the building itself.
Some have attempted to prevent photography by trademarking the building
(the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame comes to mind) and have prosecuted
photographers who took pictures. As far as I am aware, in every case that
actually went to trial (many photographers just settled out of court, not
having the resources to take it to trial), the photographer prevailed and
the trademark was struck down.

You can refer to Bert Krages' excellent book, Legal Handbook for
Photographers: The Rights and Liabilities of Making Images, for more
information. It is available on Amazon. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy
with me right now, so I'm writing from memory.

Stan

Photography by Stan McQueen
http://www.smcqueen.com