[LargeFormat] Roman numerals on Zeiss barrel lenses

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 25 18:32:57 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les Newcomer" <LNPhoto@twmi.rr.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Roman numerals on Zeiss barrel
lenses

> > FL.
> >>
> >> Interestingly enough, the largest lens in my C-set is
the
> > above 35cm
> >> lens and this is the barrel to it.  Fluke?
> >>

> >   Ooooohh BARRELS!!!!   Its the BARREL size, indicating
what
> > size filters, lens hoods, or, in the case of process
lenses,
> > reversing prisms it takes.
> >  Richard Knoppow
> > Los Angeles, CA, USA
> > dickburk@ix.netcom.com
> >

> While these show barrel size, these shouldn't be confused
with Kodak's
> (?) Series size filters  correct?
>
> My Protar C-set  can't possibly use a Series IV filter.

  They are not Kodak sizes but Zeiss sizes. The catalogue
shows filters in two types: slip over and slip in. The size
indicated for X is 65.1mm for the slip in type and 69mm for
the slip over type, called Xt.
  I may be wrong about what the marks on the barrel indicate
but it seems to make sense.
  The C set was sold with No.2,3,and 4 Series VII Protars,
focal lengths: 35cm, 29cm, 22cm. Tube for the N (barrel) or
Compur/Compound mount: Size IV.
  The 18cm Series 1c (f/4.5) Tessar barrel is size VI in all
mounts. The 21cm Tessar is Size VII in all mounts. Barrel or
tube sizes are indicated for each lens in the catalogue.
  The other letters and subscript numbers are not indicated
for these lenses, however, Zeiss designated mounts as A, B,
and N. Type-A is a focusing sunk mount of the sort found on
Mirroflex and similar cameras, Type-B is a fixed sunk mount
for cameras with focusing means, Type-N is a standard barrel
mount. Otherwise, lenses were supplied in either Compound or
Compur shutters.
  The lenses shown on the web page both appear to be in the
Type-N mount.
  I missed the "tube size" column in the catalogue the first
time I replyed.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA