[LargeFormat] Roman numerals on Zeiss barrel lenses

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 25 00:49:50 2003

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 10:59  PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

> [...]

The markings are too good for an owner to add it, and besides mine came
from Ohio and the other guy is in California.  What are the odds one
man owned all of these lenses at one time?

>   FWIW the No.4 Series VII Protar is 35cm or 14 inches FL.

Interestingly enough, the largest lens in my C-set is the above 35cm
lens and this is the barrel to it.  Fluke?

> Some of these numbers have an a or b subscript. The numbers
> for the Series 1c and 2b Tessars do not overlap. Series 1c
> (f/4.5) run from No.10, at 4cm to No.20 at 50cm (must be
> huge).
>   The 2b (f/6.3) runs from No.0 at 4cm to No.11 at 60cm.
>   This is all from a 1926 catalogue and 1928 price list.

Well that's the right time frame.

> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles, CA, USA
> dickburk@ix.netcom.com
>
>   I don't have a listing for the Series VI but I think it
> may have been the "Triple Protar" a Dagor type but with
> reversed order of powers of the cemented elements.
>   Paul Rudolf was working on this design at the time the
> Dagor was patented by von Hoegh. I suspect this is why Zeiss
> refused to hire von Hoegh when he applied there before going
> to Goerz.

Interesting snippit.  I was falling into the numbers following lens
series numbers, but all three of the other guy's lenses say "IC" and/or
Tessar.  Also  my C set is a series VIIa  even though it sports an IV
barrel engraving.   Ahhhh yet more to research...