[LargeFormat] Re: Linhof query

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jun 22 09:44:43 2003

On Sunday, June 22, 2003, at 07:59  AM, rstein wrote:

> Dear Nephew Gavin,
>
>      Well, if the Technikas have a basic metallurgical problem you=20
> would
> expect it to be constant throughout the range. But I have seen=20
> excellent
> III's and diabolical V's. Perhaps it does run back to the owner's=20
> chemistry.
>
>     I know there are some people in my medieval club whose sweat will
> destroy a steel helmet within 2 years - others keep the same gear for=20=

> 13
> years.
>
>      I wonder if Linhof had a bad batch of anything there under the=20
> chrome?
>
>      Uncle Dick

Maybe Linhof had a few of these metal eating people working at the=20
factory?  My dad worked at what was touted during the 60s as "the world=20=

largest plating factory" and has met the same type of person.  One=20
thumbprint on the steel before plating and even though the metal gets=20
washed in 180=B0 caustic soda before plating, that spot will still be=20
there.=