[LargeFormat] Re: OT: What's an ec card?

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jun 20 21:25:24 2003

>   Beware of debit cards. These are also called fake credit
> cards. They are somewhat different than an ATM (automatic
> teller machine) card which is what works as above, i.e.,
> like a check, the money being transferred directly from your
> checking account. Debit cards and ATM cards are often
> combined, make sure what kind of transaction you are
> getting. Debit cards do NOT have any of the protections of a
> true credit card, so be very careful with this kind of
> transaction.
> ---
> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles, CA, USA
> dickburk@ix.netcom.com

I can choose between Debit and Credit.  The money comes out of my
account.  What muzzles me is if I choose Debit I have no protection and
they charge me a dollar for each transaction.  If I choose Credit, it's
free.

The reverse would seem logical, but logic and banks have been at far
ends of the spectrum for a long time.