[LargeFormat] Calumet vs Toyo

Dan Kalish largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 19 18:37:15 2003

IMHO, the most sturdy 4x5 camera I've ever seen is a Plaubel.  Weighs a ton
but the movements are gentle.

Now for the economics question.  Why are large format cameras, such as the
Linhof Kardam M and the Gandolfi Varian L1A I have, so much more expensive
than point and shoot cameras (which I don't have)?  The large format cameras
don't have bells and whistles, they are merely ways of positioning a lens
and film with respect to each other.  The p&s s have lots of bells and
whistles: automatic focussing, automatic exposure, film advance, etc.

Just wondering.

Dan K.

Dan Kalish
Flushing, New York, New York, USA