[LargeFormat] How to pay German shops

Stan McQueen largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 19 16:43:09 2003

At 02:15 PM 6/19/2003, Stuart wrote:
>I heard an interesting report on the radio about the falling real prices
>(and in some cases sticker prices) of cars. The correspondent characterized
>it as "a race to the bottom".  Maybe this is different from other businesses
>:) ?

It's called "deflation" and is a very real and troubling economic problem.
Where prices go, wages follow. My Dad used to be fond of telling me that
when he first moved to Amarillo, Texas, he could have bought any number of
building lots for $50 each and if he had done so we would have been rich
today. When I asked him why he hadn't, his answer was always, "I didn't
have $50."

And, even in deflation, businesses are still trying to get the best price
they can. It's just that the best price is lower every day. eBay is no
different.

I know, I know, sometimes businesses sell at or below cost and even engage
in predatory business practices, but they do this so that they can raise
prices later after they have disposed of their competition. It's a
temporary phenomenon.

Stan

Photography by Stan McQueen
http://www.smcqueen.com