[LargeFormat] Intro & Teaching Camera Advice

Dan Kalish largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 19 11:42:46 2003

Be aware that some products sold by B&H are grey market.  A week or two ago,
I asked the fellow in the LF section about this and he confirmed that their
Rodenstock lenses are gray market.  If this matters to you, ask about each
item.

It's too bad you can't get used items; single sheet duplex film holders go
for about $5 each used.

> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:30:35 -0400
> From: Jonathan Taylor <jtyr@sover.net>
> To: Large format <largeformat@f32.net>
> Subject: [LargeFormat] Intro & Teaching Camera Advice
>
> Hello all,

> This year I've gotten authorization to finally buy a large-format camera.
> have two motivations for doing so:
>
> 1) I think they provide a great vehicle for learning the underlying
> principles of photography and cameras. (I remember my teacher's
> demonstrations vividly.)
>
> 2) I started getting really serious about landscape photography using
> infrared film, opaque filters, and a silly but fun Nikon shift lens
> (http://sover.net/~jtyr/ ). It didn't take long working with this outfit
> realize my vision would be much better served by a LF rig.
>
> So I have put together the following package from B&H and would greatly
> appreciate any advice. LF is new and strange territory to me. What little
> know is purely theoretical. My goal is to get a solid and usable system
for
> the least money possible. I budgeted $1700 (not nearly enough)! The
> practicalities of a public school purchase order precludes eBay and even
> vigulent cherry picking from the usual online used dealers.
>
> Here are the uses I'm anticipating for this rig:
> 1)  classroom demo- cheapest Polaroid film possible
> 2)  landscape- Polaroid Type 55 (lovely Polargoo!), HEI, Maco, & Tri-X
> 3)  architecture- same as landscape
> 4)  limited studio- 120 roll chromes
>
> 1 Toyo-View 4x5 45C Camera                                   799.00
799.00
> 1 Rodenstock 210mm f/6.8 Geronar Lens with Copal #1 Shutter  399.00
399.00
>   >>>Both of these are USED items.<<<
> 1 Toyo-View 158 x 158mm Lensboard for #1 Copal                54.95
54.95
> 1 Rodenstock Metal Lens Wrench (for View Lens Retaining Ring) 14.95
14.95
> 1 Toyo-View 4x5 Folding Focusing Hood/Groundglass Cover      110.00
110.00
>   >>>Do I need this?<<<
> 1 Horseman Roll Film Holder 451 - 6x9cm Graflok Back         398.95
398.95
> 4 Fidelity 4x5 Sheet Film Holders (Twin Pack)                 42.95
171.80
>   >>>Not enough of these, right?<<<
> 1 Fidelity Dark Slide (Plastic) for 4x5 Sheet Film Holder     12.95
12.95
>   >>>Do I need this?<<<
> 1 Polaroid Model #545i 4x5 Polaroid Sheet Film Holder        164.95
164.95
> 1 Toyo-View Focusing Cloth 36x48" (Black/White)               44.50
44.50
> 1 Wista 5x Standard Focusing Loupe                            52.95
52.95
> 1 Tenba CCV45 Car Case for View 45 - Black                   185.95
185.95

2,409.95

> These are "extras" that I really want but probably cannot afford.
> 1 Nikon Wide 90mm f/8 Nikkor-SW Lens w/ Copal #0 Shutter     699.95
699.95
> 1 Toyo-View 158 x 158mm Lensboard for #0 Copal                84.95
84.95
> 1 Toyo-View 4x5 Wide Angle Bellows                           369.00
369.00
> 1 Gepe 3.25" Cable Release Extension for Recessed Lensboards  17.95
17.95
>   >>>Do I need this? I already have a nice Nikon standard release.<<<
> 1 Horseman Roll Film Holder 612 - 6x12cm, Graflok Back       699.95
699.95

1,871.80

> So there you have it. Please tell me what I've gotten wrong, how I can
save
> money, and anything else I'm missing.
>
> jt

Dan Kalish