[LargeFormat] Intro & Teaching Camera Advice

Jonathan Taylor largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 19 10:10:01 2003

>> Here are the uses I'm anticipating for this rig:
>> 1)  classroom demo- cheapest Polaroid film possible
>> 2)  landscape- Polaroid Type 55 (lovely Polargoo!), HEI, Maco, & Tri-X
>> 3)  architecture- same as landscape
>> 4)  limited studio- 120 roll chromes
>
> If you need to reduce the initial outlay, I would reduce the numer of
> purposes,
> at least for the time being.

Good advice, but it's so hard to give up those ambitious projects I had
planned for this summer.

>> 1 Horseman Roll Film Holder 451 - 6x9cm Graflok Back         398.95   398.95
>
> I suggest omitting this to meet your budget and temporarily give up on color
> rollfilm.

But 4x5 sheet film is scary! Honestly I know that many may consider this
lame or heretical, but I might be more inclined to go the other direction
initially-- 6 x 9. In a way I've wanted the movements more than the film
real estate.

>> These are "extras" that I really want but probably cannot afford.
>> 1 Nikon Wide 90mm f/8 Nikkor-SW Lens w/ Copal #0 Shutter     699.95   699.95
>
> It is probably best to start with one lens anyway.
>
>> 1 Toyo-View 158 x 158mm Lensboard for #0 Copal                84.95    84.95
>> 1 Toyo-View 4x5 Wide Angle Bellows                           369.00   369.00
>> 1 Gepe 3.25" Cable Release Extension for Recessed Lensboards  17.95    17.95
>
> Does the 90 mm need a recessed lensboard for the Toyo when you are using a bag
> bellows?  If not, you don't need the release extension.

The product specs seem to indicate yes, but of course I have no idea whether
specs translate into a real need.

Thanks Michael!