[LargeFormat] about to take the jump

Vincent Dobson largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jun 13 11:00:33 2003

Hmm,

I would beg to disagree with that statement.  But, I'm probably not
representative of the normal large format shooter.

After many years in 35mm, I tend to burn a lot of 4x5 film - the cost of
which eased by the fact I have my own film processor, a Wing Lynch courtesy
of EBay.  Because of my shooting habits and my desire to load a trips worth
in my darkroom instead of in the field, I have 150 film holders - all but
two bought used for an average overall price of $6,00 each for older plastic
ones with metal edge on the darkslide and $8.00 for like new all plastic
ones.  After a couple of trips, there is no telling the difference between
the used ones I bought and the new ones.  The only thing I've had to do is
replace the tape on a few of the holders.  I have all of them numbered with
a V, I, and U notch system based on Roman numerals - the left side of the
flap is at 10 power for numbers past ten, the center of the flap has either
a V or a U for A or B side and the right side if the flap is for numbers up
to ten.  With this numbering it is easy to see exactly where, if you have a
leak, and easy fix any light leaks.

I guess if you are only going to have 5 or so holders and plan to field load
in a bag, go new, but if you need a lot of holders, used from eBay would be
my choice.  I, however could never get over having dust ruin my shots.  I
have compressed air piped throughout my darkroom and always close the slide
of just loaded holders under a continuous stream of compressed air.  When
traveling I use a travel trailer outfitted with an air compressor and tank.
I have the bath light proofed and do reload holders there, but still prefer
my set-up at home best.

Vince Dobson
Visions In Nature
www.VisionsInNature.com