[LargeFormat] about to take the jump

Joseph O'Neil largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jun 13 07:48:43 2003

>You don't say what other media you've used.  Whatever you've done, large
>format photography is far more expensive.  The cost of the camera is only a
>small part of the cost.  You'll need a lens with shutter.  Minimum $300.
>Then there's the tripod.  You need a sturdy one with a sturdy head:
>$100-$200.  Then the film ($1-$2 a sheet) and processing (about $3 a sheet).
>Just be aware of what you're in for.

         I kinda disagree.  I've had my own darkroom now for almsot 24
years, started in 35mm, moved to 120 and eventually to LF about 8 years
ago.  I have found my overall expenses on photography have declined as I
have moved up in formats.  Why?  When film is, as you pointed out , a buck
or two a sheet, you think real, real,a nd really hard before you fire that
trigger.
         With 35mm, I woudl buy my film in bulk rolls, load my own, and
fire off liek a machine gunner at anythign and everythgin that caught my fancy.
         Without that "thinking" part, I blew lots of money and supplies on
film, chemistry, etc, etc.

         So i woudl say all photogrpahy is expensive, but large format is
the cheapest of  them all.   Also,  my brother in law is an artist, and
have you checked out the price of good brushes or a single tube of oil
paint?  makes photogrpahy look cheap by comparison.  :)

>Ebay is a mixed blessing.  I recommend that you find a repair shop that you
>trust, have them evaluate the camera, and make sure that the seller
>guarantees the camera's quality.  I had what I thought was a nice deal on a
>Linhof Color for $275, but Marflex said it would cost $200 to repair it.
>Back it went.

         amen!  But sadly, unlike yourself, ebay is the only real access
for many of us to good, sued LF gear.  I have nothing near me under a two
hour drive,a nd the last time i was in Toronto - Canada's largest city -
looking at used LF gear, i was amazed at the high prices for beat up junk a
lot of the camera shops wanted.

         In Canada, at least around Toronto, the only two camera shops I
would buy new or used LF gear form mail order, are Harry's Pro Shop and
Eight Elm Camera, both of which are very small business.  But both "speak"
large format, both have good web sites,a nd both ship very quickly for
reaosnable prices.  Both also are able to get the hard to find stuff - be
it cameras, lenses, paper, chemisty, etc, etc.

good luck
joe

http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca
http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem