[LargeFormat] The Czar's Photographer

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 12 05:28:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Briggs" <MichaelBriggs@Earthlink.net>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 12:16 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] The Czar's Photographer

>> Right now I am looking at his photo of the  "special
shrine for the
> miracle-working icon known as "Odigitria," traditionally
associated with the
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/images/p87-3065.jpg and
> page 111 of the book.  The colors on the web are much more
saturated than in
> the book, for example, in the book the red curtains range
from dirty brown on
> the right to muted orangish red on the left, while the web
image ranges from
> red in shadow to a vivid red.   The resolution of the LOC
images is
> significantly better, probably because they have done a
better job in lining up
> the three separation negatives.  The LOC website states
that the registration
> is the most difficult step.
>
> The exhibit at the LOC was much more impressive than
either the website or the
> book.   They printed the photographs fairly large, roughly
30 inches wide.  The
> exhibit is no longer on display, but one might be able to
view some of the
> prints by appointment.
>
> --Michael

  Lots of snipping...
  I was astonished by more than the technical quality of the
images. It is their quality as pictures. Perhaps also
because my grandparents came from Russia and these photos
are a chance for me to glimpse the world they they knew.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com