[LargeFormat] Plaubel

Dan Kalish largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jun 7 22:24:11 2003

While at PhotoGizzmo today, I tried out a Plaubel 4x5 view camera.  Utterly
incredible.  Full movement, easy to maneuver, and solid as a rock.  This is
one serious camera.  Not one to take in the field without a strong
assistant.  Hah!

At $450, its appealing, although I already have 3 view cameras including a
vintage Graphic View II, a new Linhof Kardan M and a Gandolfi Variant I (en
route from the U.K.).  However, the cost for a suitable tripod would be
almost as much and I don't know if they make a carrying bag strong enough.
Louis thinks its impractical because parts are impossible to find.

I didn't think to ask what model it is.  Any ideas?  It uses a circular pipe
for a monorail.

Would those who've used Plaubels care to comment?

Dan Kalish
Flushing, New York, New York, USA