[LargeFormat] Member intro and reversal film recommendation

Jim Brick largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jun 7 15:34:00 2003

Hi Ron,

I've been shooting LF since 1959, first commercially, then for my own
personal pleasure. I shoot 99% landscape and 90% transparencies. I print
everything on Cibachrome up to 20x24 in my own darkroom. Larger prints are
LightJet prints done by a local lab.

Anyway... My favorite landscape film is Velvia. It has the extra punch that
gives you those deep blue skies and brilliant early morning/late evening
(sweet light) photographs. But if I am going to make long exposures,
minutes rather than seconds, I use Provia 100F since it handles long
exposures better than Velvia.

Filters. You NEVER need a UV filter. All lenses made from about 1950 to
present have all of the UV inhibition built into the glass and cement
between the elements. You could use a warming filter when you get to,
perhaps, 7000'. Or anytime you want the scene warmed-up. I use a B+W KR3
quite often at sea level, along the coast. The ONLY filters you should
entertain are those that will ENHANCE you photographic result. Polarizer,
warming, ND, ND grad, color grad, etc. And make sure that they are of the
best quality. B+W, Heliopan, Hitech, Calumet, Sinar, Tiffen, Kodak, etc.
Stay away from the cheap stuff like Cokin and the like. Remember, the
filter you put in front of your lens will nullify the beautiful
anti-reflection coating on your lens an the filter becomes the first line
of defense against flare, ghost reflections, etc. A cheap filter screws-up
more photographs with veiling flare and the like, killing the recording of
very fine detail on your film. So make sure that your filter is 1st class,
made by a company that uses optically flat glass/resin and uses the proper
coating techniques.

End of lecture... sorry. I teach a lot of workshops and what people stick
on their lens would amaze you. Then they wonder why they have flat lifeless
crappy photographs.

:-)

Jim