[LargeFormat] cult lenses

philip lambert largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jun 2 15:01:03 2003

Ross made some decent lenses and I had an Ensign Selfix with a Ross Xpres
that was a Tessar type and worked well. The Epsilon shutter gave no trouble
but they have a mixed reputation and a strange flash plug.
I had a couple of wideangle Dallmeyer halfplate lenses that I mounted on the
front of a Compur. I bought then from an old man who used them to take
industrial monochrome photos on a plate camera. He showed me two that were
very sharp; he used a handheld photoflood which he shone on different parts
of the subject "until I think it's sufficient" !
Aldis made a WW2 naval signalling light.   I guess it's the same Aldis that
made slide projectors later.PL