[LargeFormat] RE: Horseman or Gandolfi?

Dan Kalish largeformat@f32.net
Sat May 31 23:20:37 2003

Thanks, Stuart Phillips, Vincent Dobson, Clive Warren, Jim Brick, Daryll,
Tim Atherton and Steve Simmons!

Its apparent that each person has his/her favorite.  I went to a local
dealer today and wound up getting a Linhoff Kardan-M.  Unfortunately, I'll
have to wait until a weekday to use it because I can't figure out how to
attach the bellows, and the instructions are in German.

The dealer discouraged my getting the Horseman (not in the major leagues)
and the Gandolfi (not as good as they once were and it, like all field
cameras, doesn't have rigid, precise movement).  He doesn't carry the
Technikardan 45S because of price; the Technika is not suitable for my needs
(its main feature is folded-up size and I won't be doing any backpacking),
and Ebony didn't come up in our discussion.  A Plaubel looked appealing but
he said parts are hard to find and anyway, I already have a vintage camera.
We looked at the Wisner wood field camera ($1500), Arca-Swiss F-line ($2400)
and Linhoff Kardam-M ($800).  I think I'm not ready for a wood field camera.
Darryl has some good points.  Between the Arca and Linhoff, price was the
determining factor.

I think what I really wanted is a real LF camera that gives me many options.
I still like the Graphic View and can continue to use it, especially to get
my feet wet.  After all, the Linhoff is on Steve Simmons' list of
recommended cameras for under $1,200.

Vincent and Stuart: I share your sentiments.  I'm not really a Luddite: I
understand and am quite comfortable with computers but also use slide rules.
However, I much prefer analogue photography to digital.  I was using a
Voigtlander Avus (bellows, circa 1927-1933) camera when I was about 10.
When I got my first 35mm SLR (Minolta SR-T101), I wanted one that has an
exposure meter in the viewfinder, but I resisted automatic exposure cameras.
Forget automatic focussing: manual focussing is second nature to me.  I
haven't had any trouble using a Rollei SL66 without an internal exposure
meter.   Isn't it ironic that my newest camera is large format, the oldest
design there is?  I also use a Nikon F (circa 1970), the Rollei SL66
(1966-1970), the Minolta (1967) and Graphic View II (1950 or so).

Now to load some film holders!