[LargeFormat] Compund Shutters

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Tue May 20 19:50:04 2003

At 9:18 am -0400 20/5/03, Les Newcomer wrote:
>I've looked under the hood a couple of times, but if your intending
>to send me a bag of parts in hopes of putting Humpty  back together
>then you've got the wrong guy.
>
>Not that this is news to you, but the gear train usually found on
>the right side of say a Graphex is replaced by a rather simple
>compression system for the low gears and a smaller train for speeds
>above 1/25  hence the term compound.  The dial at the top moves the
>cylinder position for the slow speeds and cuts it out of the circuit
>at the higher ones.
>
>Les

Les,

Thanks for the info. I haven't looked under the bonnet yet so you
won't get a jiffy bag in the post just yet ;-)

Now that air driven gizmo - I am assuming that over the years the
clearance between the piston and cylinder bore opens up a bit through
wear. So fast shutter speeds on the slow range may be a little
difficult to remedy?