[LargeFormat] Why make my life so complicated? (was: Giant Pinhole ..)

Guy Glorieux largeformat@f32.net
Sat May 3 13:18:19 2003

Thanks Jim,

After going through making this giant pinhole, working with my 11x14 is
like moving from large format to 35mm...! (well, not quite, but...).

I do plan to make a second one this year, but when you get into these
things, ignorance is a real blessing.  I now know all what is involved
with making one of those and I have to be careful not to let myself get
overwhelmed ahead of time by the amount of work these prints require.

Back in the '60s, when I was young and adventurous, I decided to jump
out of airplanes.  The first jump was easy because you're full of
enthusiasm and ignorant of what is involved.  The second jump is really
scarry, because you're fully aware of what's involved.  Then, as you
keep jumping, you become quickly addicted...

I think this is more or less the same feeling with getting into making
giant pictures of the sort.  Somewhere in the back of your head is the
nagging question:
"Why do I make my life so complicated??"

I suppose that this question crosses the mind of most large format
people as we lug our heavy equipment around, etc...  Until of course the
moment when we look at the final print and then, we really know it's
worth all the hard work.

Anybody else shares this feeling?

Guy