[LargeFormat] Shutterless Exposure Recommendations

Ken Sinclair largeformat@f32.net
Sun Apr 27 03:03:04 2003

Benno

In the beginning... my mentor always wore a bowler hat in the field, when
we went out  on field trips. The bowler hat had black velvet in the "crown"
which did not actually get to touch what little hair he had left.

The bowler was held over the barrel lens (Gandolfi 8x10 circa 1905,
Waterhouse stops in barrel lens) the dark slide removed and the hand
"inserted" to remove the lenscap. The hat would then be removed out and
"downward"... made somewhat of a circle and replaced from the opposite
direction. This technique served him well for some 60 years. I cannot
really remember what "percentage" of exposure were less than one second..
but I do not recall that many that were "badly exposed"... Intuition and
experience added to the Ilford exposure tables worked remarkably well in
the days when exposure meters were a "rareity".

Ken