[LargeFormat] Seen on eBay

Michael Briggs largeformat@f32.net
Sat Apr 26 02:38:01 2003

On 26-Apr-2003 Guy Glorieux wrote:
> Now, for those with an 11x14, this is really something (not mine, but I
> sure wish it were):
>
> A Schneider Super Angulon 165mm for 11X14, put on the block for $2000
> (reserve price being higher).

I find three 165 mm Super-Angulon's currently on ebay:

unknown reserve, buy-it-now for $799, unfortunately with cleaning marks:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2925408801

unknown reserve, buy-it-now for $850:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2925435196

unknown reserve, starting price (below reserve) of $2000, from a seller with
zero feedback:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2925153665

The three look to be about the same vintage.   This lens isn't that rare.  The
price of more than $2000 is absurd.  Even the 210 mm Super-Angulon (or 200 mm
Grandagon), which are less common, go for closer to $1000 than $2000.

Never (with extreme rare exception) believe coverage claims of an ebay seller
without independent verification.  As Tim says, Schneider doesn't list it as
covering 11x14.  Also as Tim says, perhaps it might if well-stopped down
and soft corners are acceptable.   That might be reasonable for a contact
printing process, which is what an 11x14 negative would probably be used for.

For a 165 mm lens to cover 11x14, about 107 degrees of coverage would be
needed.  Schneider lists the coverage as 100 degrees, 394 mm diameter.  The
same 100 degrees gives 500 mm diameter of coverage for the 210 mm Super-Angulon,
which thus easily covers 11x14.

107 degrees is indeed the diagonal view of a 16 mm lens on 35 mm.

--Michael