[LargeFormat] Re: Shooting LF in below freezing conditions

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Fri Apr 25 00:36:05 2003

I've never seen any sort of reciprocity change with temperature either.
I've never worried about it on either end of the temperature scale.

What I have found is that film can be brittle when cold.  Not a big deal
with LF, but 35mm can have issues.  Fast winders are the big problem, but
if you let the batteries drop in temperature to match the film, speed
becomes less of an issue ;-)

Static electricity can also be problematic.  The colder it is, the less
moisture there is in the air, even though you're wading through several
feet of moisture in a frozen state!  I've never had to use a changing bag
in the extreme cold, but mine is nylon so I'd imagine it could develop a
charge.  Any experience with that Dave or Tim?

Doing a dry run in a commercial freezer is probably a good idea.
Depending on how a shutter is lubricated, I could see how viscosity
changes could affect shutter speed.  The commercial freezer probably isn't
cold enough to fully simulate the trip, but should let you see where
problems *might* crop up.

Brock