[LargeFormat] Re: Shooting LF in below freezing conditions

Gavin Hubbard largeformat@f32.net
Thu Apr 24 21:32:02 2003

Dave Hornford said:

>Gavin,
>
>Although Uncle Dick enjoyed his formative years in a land that has winter,
>all the time spent in a tin darkroom extension on the sunny side (north) of
>has induced heat stress.
>
>I shoot my Sinar A outdoors in all year on the Canadian prairies and in the
>Rockies. There are a wide range of cold issues. Based on my extensive 2
>seasons of experience I humbly offer the following notes.

<snip>

Hi Dave

Thank-you very much for your long and considered response to my question. I
didn't realise that I had overlooked so many things. Your notes about
fogging the ground glass concern me a little so (although it will add more
weight) I'm going to take a reflex binocular viewer.

Because I intend to go deep into the mountains on a six day expedition,
I've decided to spend some time in a commercial freezer to test and
fine-tune my equipment and procedures. I'm also going to spend a day or two
walking around with my LF kit so I can determine what I really need and
what I can leave behind (there will be no pack animals or porters where I'm
going).

One thing I'd like to know is whether I need to make any compensation for
my film. In other words, will it have the same exposure rate and profile at
-20C ?

Regards,

Gavin