[LargeFormat] Why are some Wollensak lenses printed backwards?

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Thu Apr 24 12:30:42 2003

It's actually pretty simple.  Like the Rolex's you can buy in Hong Kong
for $5 (and Rolex won't fix under warranty ;-), this lense is actually a
clever knock-off.  The reverse writing keeps those selling them out of
court, at least that's my understanding.  When you get the lens, try
giving it a gentle polishing with a wet rag.  If the lens melts, you will
have confirmation that this one is actually a fake.  The glass is actually
sugar and I believe the body is made of toilet paper rolls.  Evidently
they perform reasonably well, but don't stand up in the rain...

Brock