[LargeFormat] Shooting LF in below freezing conditions

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Wed Apr 23 02:14:09 2003

Dear Gavin,

    Our extensive experience with snow here in Western Australia ( It did
snow once. Honest.) means that I can help here.

    The first thing you'll need to do is let the camera become accustomed to
the cold. Obviously do not store it in a snowdrift, but do let the frame,
back and lenses cool down to the ambient temperature slowly so that they do
not fog up or undergo secondary unipolar crystallization - particularly
dangerous with a monorail.

    You'll need to test whether or not the camera is at operating
temperature after a few hours of acclimatization. The best way to do this is
to touch the metal center rail with the edge of your tongue.

    Write back once you have done this and I'll tell you the next step.

     Uncle Dick REB BGA