[LargeFormat] another OT language topic

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed Apr 16 20:43:09 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les Newcomer" <LNPhoto@twmi.rr.com>
To: "f32" <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 6:16 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] another OT language topic

> While I have all of the latin translators in camera can
anybody tell me
> why we call it Canada Balsam and not Canadian Balsam?  The
same is true
> with Honduras mahogany rather than (what I believe is more
proper)
> Honduran Mahogany.   After all we don't call it England
walnut.

  Another is Russia Leather. This was once supposed to be
leather cured with a special oil (I now can't remember
which) which made it resistant to insects and fungus. Russia
leather was brick red which is why "deluxe" model cameras
often had red leather bellows.
  There are many examples of names being shortened or even
being corruptions of the original. Asparagus, for instance,
is a corruption of Sparrow Grass.
  I think English Walnut may, indeed, be the name of the
type of tree the wood comes from rather than just the wood.
  As far as Canada Balsam, perhaps you could ask a Canada
Goose:-).
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA