[LargeFormat] Acme No. 4 Shutter Problems

Benno Jones largeformat@f32.net
Sat Apr 5 17:12:04 2003

I recently acquired an Ilex-Calumet Caltar 12" f/6.3 in an Ilex No.4 Acme
Synchro shutter for use with my 'new' B&J 8x10.  On arrival the shutter
worked perfectly on all speeds including B and T when firing the shutter
with the shutter lever.  Today I put a cable release on it and immediately B
and T broke.  Both now immediately close after opening.  The focus button
still works for keeping the lens open, but it doesn't seem to be a realistic
option for keeping the camera still on long exposures.  Can anyone tell me
if this is a common problems with this type of shutter and whether it can be
fixed?  As well, is there a recommended repair shop for these older
shutters?  I'm in Seattle, but can ship it if need be.

Thanks,
Benno Jones