[LargeFormat] WTB

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sun Mar 30 23:16:11 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les Newcomer" <LNPhoto@twmi.rr.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 6:55 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] WTB

wrote:

> >    I am curious what differences there were other than
using
> > flash. The flare in the original looks a little like
> > spherical aberration. What were the stops used for the
two
> > images? And what lens?
> >    BTW, the camera appears to be an early 4x5
Anniversary
> > Speed Graphic. I have a very early one, maybe even
> > pre-production. It has a shallower box than later ones.
> > Graflex type solenoid can't be used on it because the
front
> > won't close over it. I asked Roger Adams about this but
he
> > had no idea. The serial number puts it around 1939 or
1940,
> > right at the beginning of production.
> > ---
> > Richard Knoppow
> > Los Angeles, CA, USA
> > dickburk@ix.netcom.com
> >

> The lens is fixed and the tele is a 2x adapter. The camera
does a lot
> of things it doesn't tell me, but the aperture should have
been close
> to the same around f11.  I believe the chip is 1/2" but
don't know
> about the lens construction.
>
> Now what the serial number of this mystery Speed Graphic,
and can you
> attach a photo of it?
> Is this the one with completely sealed FP shutter
bearings?

> Les

  OK, I think I must have missed some of the posts in this
thread and we may be talking at cross purposes. Since it has
a chip obviously it is digital and not film, something I
missed. I appologize if this is so, I am at one of those
periods where I have fallen way behind with e-mail.
  The Speed Graphic I mentioned is an early Anniversary
model, the view you posted looks like it, although the
bright chrome fittings were used for all the series except
some military cameras. The Graphic with the enclosed
bearings is a Pacemaker. I've not seen another like it
although otherwise it seems to be standard.
  Roger Adams told me that there were dozens of small
variations of detail on Graphics for various reasons, now
mostly not known.
  The Anniversary Graphic also has diamond knurling on the
focus knobs and front rise lock knobs. Later models have the
familar parallel knurling. This is the pattern used on
pre-anniversary models.
  Zeiss Tessars were one of the standard lenses supplied by
the factory, mine may not be original although the serial
number indicates its about the right age. Its in a Press
Compur. This is similar to the standard dial-set Compur
except that it has a blade arrestor (press focus button) in
place of the self timer and a large paddle attached to the
cocking lever. Graflex switched to Kodak lenses and shutters
when German made stuff became unavailable around 1940.
  My question about the picture was because the flare looked
like it might actually have been some spherical aberration,
which often looks like flare but shows up more as a halo
around bright objects rather than an overall loss of
contrast.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA