[LargeFormat] Kodak Film Changes!

Joseph O'Neil largeformat@f32.net
Sun Mar 16 09:06:03 2003

At 21:58 3/15/03 +0000, you wrote:
>But leaving aside the question of whether anything you read in a magazine is
>as instructive as trying it yourself, what is the difference between grain
>and granularity and why does it matter on a large format negative?

-snip-
         I would agree with you and take it one step further - I don't care
much for grian as I do about tonality.  Regardless of film, I find one (of
the many) benefits of LF film is I get a better tonal range in my prints
than I do from 35mm or 120.  Your milage may vary.
         But back to the grain thing, I once did a 16x20 enlargement off
35mm, HIE - high speed infra-red form Kodak - which, if you have never used
it before, has grain bigger than a bowl of soggy rice crispies.  :)
         But in that particual print, the grian "worked" for me - it added
to the look of the picture.  teh average gravel driveway probally has
stones smaller than the grian in that print, but I don't care, it looks
just great to me.

         Still, back to the articel, Ihave two last thoughts.  One, I use
Tri-X allt he time, so if ht enew tri-x in 4x5 has smaller gain, I am not
going to complain.  :)  Secondly, the whole gist of the article seemed to
be "relax, don't worry", and on that basis, I enjoyed it.
joe

http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca
http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem