[LargeFormat] Kodak Film Changes!

Charles Thorsten largeformat@f32.net
Sat Mar 15 17:24:14 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "philip.lambert" <philip.lambert@ntlworld.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Kodak Film Changes!

> But leaving aside the question of whether anything you read in a magazine
is
> as instructive as trying it yourself, what is the difference between grain
> and granularity and why does it matter on a large format negative?  35mm
is
> another country altogether and 120 is a great improvement for
> grain/resolution but 5x4? If the camera is on a tripod you might as well
use
> a slow emulsion; handheld is different of course.

Actually I like having a slightly faster film when shooting
large format 4x5.  When the lens is at f/32 or f/45, shutter
speeds end up very slow.  A persistant breeze can turn a
magnificent landscape into a blurry abstract very quickly
if you photograph with trees and flowers in the scene.  If
a faster film gives me 1/8 sec instead of 1/2 sec, it can
make all the difference in the world.  The grain of Tri-X
or HP5 in 4x5 doesn't make much of a difference to me.

Just my own opinion, of course.

-Charlie
 cthorsten@earthlink.net