[LargeFormat] Elgeet Update

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Tue Mar 4 05:32:06 2003

At 18:00 03/03/2003 -0800, Alan Davenport wrote:
>A while ago, I asked if anyone knew about a lens I had acquired,
>an Elgeet 10" f/4.5.  While I learned a little about the
>genesis of the name "Elgeet," little was forthcoming about the
>lens.  I have trekked on...
snip
>Today got the lens on the camera and played on the GG.
>I know it covers at least 8x10; I can't reach the edge of
>the image circle using ALL of the (considerable) rise/fall and
>shift the camera offers, and that's wide open.  One day I'll
>try to actually measure the image circle.
snip

Alan,

Richard may have mentioned this earlier, but in1962 the Elgeet 'firm
acquired ownership of the ancient establishment of Steinheil in Munich'
(from Kingslake). Steinheil made a lot of large format glass so the lens
could be a Steinheil design. Elgeet sold Steinheil soon after the
acquisition. Elgeet made a lot of cine lenses but I don't know the dates -
I would guess 1950s onwards.

The only mention of large format lenses I can find is the Elgeet Anastigmat
f4.5 250mm which is of course your lens. Be wary that the circle of
illumination is probably larger than the useful image circle.

The Alphax shutters are my favorite and it sounds as though you have a
great lens for little money - always a good combination! Let us know how it
performs.