[LargeFormat] limits on "old glass"

Jensen, Stephen largeformat@f32.net
Sat Feb 22 16:10:14 2003

Dear Les: I recently read our comments about using "Old glass". I am a fan =
of both old & new - and appreciate the limits of using old glass. It is imp=
ortant the limits of these wonderful old lenses not be realistically exceed=
ed. When used realistically they are marvelous! I think your using a maximu=
m 4x enlargement is a great rule of thumb. I started using my Grandfather's=
 vintage 1907 Dagor, and have acquired both newer and older lenses since th=
en.=20

Are these old lenses still a valuable part of my day-to-day usage? You bet!=
  My Dad always told me to use the proper tool for the proper job - and the=
re are many times when an older lens is justified. I'd rather take a portra=
it of my wife with an uncoated oldie than a sharp Super Angulon or Artar...=
=2E.but then those crisp B&W landscaped are just begging for that Super Ang=
ulon - aren't they?=20

From an archeological perspective the older lenses are not only works of ar=
t but works of technology for that time period. I am fascinated by lens dev=
elopment and strongly believe in the "craft" aspect of photography. When I =
 paint I limit myself to a certain media, brush size, canvas, etc., and I b=
elieve those self-imposed limits are justified. I feel the artsy/homey/esot=
eric aspects of my art. When I photograph I stay within the limits of my Go=
erz Dagors, Ilexes, etc. and don't use them for everything. The Dagor has i=
n effect "imposed it's own size/print limit" on what I'm doing. Your commen=
t of "using the lens in the manner it was intended" is one of the most impo=
rtant I have read online and I strongly encourage new photographers to heed=
 your message. I  like your "4X" rule of thumb. When I use my 6" uncoated D=
agor on 4x5 and enlarge to 11x14 the print is still sharp and the blacks ar=
e still dense. My coated Dagor will yield a larger print size. An Angulon  =
will give an even larger print.

One addition to your comments I would make concerns enlarger lenses. Any "w=
eak link" in the chain will result in a less-than-desirable print.  Skimpin=
g on an inferior enlarging lens is like shooting yourself in the foot. When=
 I take a photo with an old lens - I still try to use the best (multicoated=
, contrasty,high resolution) lens I can get and take great care with the en=
larger. I may shoot with the uncoated lens but I will print with the best t=
hat I can find (which may or may not be the most $$!). I highly recommend r=
eading "The Edge of Darkness", a book referred to me by Andrew Glover (Dago=
r77 on eBay).
Thanks.

Stephen Jensen
RF Engineer, Physicist, Archeologist
(717) 505-0252 (w)
(717) 846-5796 (h)

contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. =20
this email is prohibited.