[LargeFormat] Info on the Fotar brand enlarger

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Tue Feb 11 03:45:50 2003

Fotars are the Omegas of the industial world.  While a DeVere and even a
Durst as some design, the Fotar explifies "form follows function"  And if
the fuction was to bruise shins and hipbones, the form fit the function to
a 't'.

They are not freestanding and insist being bolted to a substantial wall.
The mast or colum is more or less a custom designed box beam.  Most of the
rest of the parts were designed by a machinist rather than Raymond Loewy.
Lots of roller bearings and socket head cap screws. It defines the term
"fully adjustable" as most things are on cams to tweak the play. There are
two counter weights in the back for the head and the table which are
linked and counter directional (as you raise the head, the table lowers)
They are not brutally heavy, but those counter weights can put a nasty
dent in a steel toed shoe should it fall out of the car.(I was lucky, didn'
t have the steel toe to dent :-)

I've never used one, but was lucky(?) enough to be at an auction that had
three and two friends bought them.  The first one took about an hour to
get off the wall.  The third came down in 15 minutes (and was still
useable afterward)

Anybody with a little garage experience in mechanical engineering and a
couple of years in the darkroom with even an Omega could get one up and
aligned.

The smallest ones I've seen were just over 7ft,(okay 6ft after my friend
realized he miss-measured his basement)  but have seen some 10 footers.