[LargeFormat] EBay

Stan McQueen largeformat@f32.net
Mon Feb 10 20:06:33 2003

I don't think you understand how eBay Proxy Bidding works. It doesn't
matter whether you bid at the last second or not, proxy bidding will
increase your bid up to the maximum you bid in either case. Proxy bid
merely allows you to specify the maximum you're willing to pay without
disclosing that amount to others. Sniping has no effect on the proxy
bidding process, which operates no matter how much or how little time
remains in the auction. Proxy bidding is automatic--the only way to avoid
it is to bid interactively exactly one increment above the current bid.
Your statement below ("... of course they want you to use their proxy
bidding!!!") makes it seem that proxy bidding is somehow optional, but it
is not.

If you're happy with sniping, then you should use it, but it is not magic.
It does have advantages when bidding against an interactive bidder and also
when bidding against someone who has entered too small a bid for his/her
maximum. It doesn't give them any time to revise their bids. So in that
sense it is effective and if you are convinced that you have won bids you
wouldn't otherwise have won, then great for you. But I could give you a
similar list of items that I have won on eBay that sniping bidders didn't
win--because I was willing to pay more than they were. Of course, I also
have a list of items I lost because someone else was willing to pay more
than I was--but it didn't matter whether they bid at the last second or
not. If they were willing to pay more than I was, then they take it.

Stan