[LargeFormat] Input on buying an 8x10 enlarger

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Mon Feb 3 17:03:09 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "LauvoneT" <pleohmy@yahoo.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 10:08 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Input on buying an 8x10 enlarger

> Hi Everyone,
>
>       I am thinking about buying a used 8x10 enlarger.
>  I am wondering what folks in the group are doing with
> their 8x10 negs.  Do you mostly contact, or does
> nearly everyone have an 8x10 enlarger??
>
> I am weighing the options of either buying the
> enlarger or just contact printing and farming out the
> enlargments when I need/want larger.
>
> Your input will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lauvone
>
> =====
> www.Lauvone.com

  I contact print sizes larger than 4x5 (meaning 5x7 and
8x10). I don't have room for an 8x10 enlarger although I
would like to have one. I am planning an arrangement for
temporarily converting one of my 8x10 cameras into an
enlarger. Not as satisfactory as the real thing but it would
break down into tractibly sized parts.
  There are several typs of 8x10 enlargers available on the
used market. Generally, there are not expensive because of
the size. Probably the most common is the Elwood. Despite
being clunky looking they are quite servicable.
  My ideal is a Saltzman but they are huge and not very
common.
  One caution is that any vertical 8x10 enlarger will
require a high ceiling even if its a table model and sits on
the floor.
  I will trade some notes on making an enlarger using a view
camera. I've thought out the lamp house but haven't actually
tried building the thing.
  I also would like the 8x10 for making enlarged contact
sheets for 35mm and Rollei size negatives.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com