[LargeFormat] Small Brass Screws - Suppliers?

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 27 19:10:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "philip.lambert" <philip.lambert@ntlworld.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 12:25 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Small Brass Screws - Suppliers?

> I managed to buy a few tiny screws from the local model
train shop. Brass
> screws that are slightly too large can have the point
filed off before final
> tightening.  Of course if the screw is too fat you may not
care to use it
> for fear of cracking the screw hole region.
> A possible source is a firm that makes wooden cameras like
Gandolfi or
> wooden cabinets.
> There are a few tiny brass screws in my bedroom
carpet.......PL

  To avoid cracking the wood its important to drill pilot
holes for wood screws. The hole should be about 1/3rd the
diameter of the screw.
  Badly oversize holes can be fixed by drilling out and
filling with plugs made of hardwood dowel stock. Once the
glue sets the tops are sanded or filed down to the surface
of the surrounding wood. Drill pilot holes in the patch.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com