[LargeFormat] Introductions

Graeme Hird largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 21 10:16:45 2003

It seems that Brock and I are a couple of peas from the same pod.

I'm also 37, shoot Nikon in 35mm and 4x5 in LF, I've got a Speed Graphic
lying around that I don't use, a German 6x6 which I rarely use and an Epson
2450 for scanning my LF films. (Get the F5, Brock - it's still a toy, but a
very good one!). I also have an LS-40 for 35 mm films.

My main LF gear is a Tachihara 5x4 field camera, a SA 90 mm, a Komura 90 mm
(soon to be sold) and a Schneider Xenar 150 mm. I use the F5 as a light
meter and framing tool when I'm shooting LF, since I've got it with me
anyway.

I started with a Minolta SRT101 twelve years ago, got an F801s 9 years ago,
my Tachihara 5 years ago and my F5 3 years ago. I would be an equipment
junky if I could afford it, but I'd rather collect images than equipment.

I capture on film and print digitally using Lambda and Lightjet printers
(not mine). Photoshop revolutionised my work by enabling me to custom print
every image, not just the B&W ones.

I live in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia. In my day job I'm an Exploration
Geologist in a gold mine. I've had no schooling in photography other than
reading everything I can find which will advance my knowledge in the
direction I want to go - it's not a hobby but an obsession. Eventually I
intend to make it my profession too.

I reckon I've got a few good shots already, but my best ones are still
awaiting their photons.

Cheers,
Graeme