[LargeFormat] Introductions

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 20 22:34:25 2003

On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 07:18 PM, Don Feinberg wrote:

>> From: "Don Feinberg" <ducque@mindspring.com>
> That said, in the Midwest, I've found much more visual stimulation in the
> UP
> of Michigan
>
> This is a really serious challenge for me.  Hence, my comment.
>
> Don Feinberg

Ahh we all have our blind spots.  I rode through the UP, from Sault Saint
Marie to the Wisconsin border, in a 1912 Buick Roadster with an average
drive speed of 35mph.  Except for the sign announcing it, I couldn't tell
where one forest preserve ended and the other began.  Every 100 miles was
wide spot in the road with a gas/grocery store.  Granted, I wasn't into
large format at the time, (a 6 week vacation for three people in a one
seat car doesn't leave room for LF gear)
but I didn't see anything there that I couldn't see 2 hours out of
Detroit----lots and lots of pine trees, a bit of fudge but no moose.
Granted I was in the interior--no coast line.

But on the whole I agree with you. I took a trip out west this year, the
first in 20+ and I'd forgotten how radically different the terrain was
from the midwest.