[LargeFormat] Anybody home?

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jan 18 02:12:19 2003

Dear Jim,

     We are all still alive, more's the pity. It is just too hot to move out
there. The darkroom is 35 degrees Celsius and the workroom is 42 degrees and
I just don't care anymore.

    Even the belly dancers have lost their appeal. I tried taking off all my
clothes and standing in front of a mirror and shaking things, but it was
uninspiring. I think I am just going to have to wait for cooler weather.

    At least I am not in Canberra or the Victorian Alps. Bushfire season on
the plains is bad enough but up and down mountains is worse.

    I can report a modest success with the Mighty Shen. The pinholes are
gone - now it is a case of trying to cope with the wooden Chinese film
holders shedding bits of fibre onto the film as the darkslides are
withdrawn. It will be a case of strong scubbing and vacuuming and then
waiting for time to wear away all loose bits.

    But let me ask you and the other list members for some good advice.

     I need to shoot straight down with my 4 x 5 Linhof E monorail from up
near the ceiling of my studio - the models will be sprawled out on the floor
under the camera.

    I need to suspend the E adequately - and stop vibration as it works -
and adequately view the focussing and framing as we move the models about. I
do have a rightangle finder for the E that will let me get my eye up there
but how do I get my eye up there whilst suspended over the model?

    The ceiling is only 10-11 feet high.

     Uncle Dick