[LargeFormat] Crown Graphic Movements(or lack of) ?

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jan 12 21:58:35 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les Newcomer" <lnphoto@twmi.rr.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 3:16 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Crown Graphic Movements(or lack
of) ?

> Since a 90mm Super Angulon covers 5x7 with minimal
movements I would hope
> you wouldn't run out of room, but you can't say it's a
light lens!  Will
> the camera shut? How do you focus?
>
> Les

  The 90mm SA will cover 4x5 easily. There is no practical
limit on how short a lens will go in a Graphic, I have a
65mm SA for mine. In Anniversary and Pacemaker Graphics the
focusing track extends into the camera and is connected to
the main part of the track with links. This allows focusing
with the focus knobs when the bed is dropped.
  A CAUTION!: be VERY careful not to try closing the camera
or folding down the bed with the focus track extended. It
will bend or break the part of the track guide inside the
camera box. Once bent the wide angle part of the focus track
will be wobbly and its possible to to greater damage. The
inside guide should be examined when buying a camera.
  There is a littl rise and shift possible when in this
position. The compression of the bellows prevents much
movement and being inside the camera box further limits it.
  I am not sure of how the Super Graphic is arranged but
think it doesn't have the coupled track.
  Pre-Anniversary Graphics have a drop bed but the lens must
be focused manually by sliding the front on the inside
track. Its doable but not convenient.
  The camera will not close with the 90mm SA on it, the lens
is too wide to clear the focus rails.
  BTW, you will need a locking cable release if your SA is
in the older Compur No.00 shutter, it has no T setting, only
B. Only very early SA's came in these shutters.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com