[LargeFormat] Clothing

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 30 19:08:29 2002

Dear Stuart,

     The approved Gentleman's Costume for the Antipodes is the following:

1.     Boots. Rubber boots if you are working on a prawn trawler.
Blundstones if you are not. If you polish your Blundstones to a high shine
you can be first in the Sydney Mardi Gras parade - be warned.

2.    Socks. Wool. This is country that raises sheep, often to high
political office. Wear wool at all possible times.

3.     Stubbies. Thats shorts to you. If you intend to work on a building
site choose the low-back version. Also if you intend to lead the Mardi Gras
parade.

4.    Bibfront overalls. Alternative to the stubbies - often seen on the
farm. These are made by Yakka.

5.     Jackie Howe. This is the no-sleeve blue singlet favoured by shearers.
In the winter you can wear a

6.    Flannelette shirt. $ 8 from Target. Free from the Good Sammy bin.

7.    Hat. This can be a canvas giggle hat from the surplus store or an
Akubra from the tourist shop in town, but if you get the latter, toss away
the hatband - you'll get a sweat stain that will do as well for decoration
and don't buy anything made of leather. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT turn the
side of the hat up in imitation of the AIF.

    If you are from England you can wear a knotted handkerchief on your head
and sandals with socks on your feet. We quite expect it.

    I cannot give advice to women about the clothes that they should wear,
as most of my models leave theirs at home. This is fine as far as it goes,
but some of them arrive at the studio by bus.

     Uncle Dick