[LargeFormat] The Nanson Matter

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 29 16:40:15 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "rstein" <rstein@bigpond.net.au>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2002 6:09 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] The Nanson Matter

> Dear Brock,
>
>      Ah, you have met Big Kev, I see. He seems to have been unusually
> intellectual for you. I wonder if his stint as Emeritus Professor of
> Linguistics at Queensland University and Freezer Works did it?

So you DO know him... I can't say I'm surprised!!  He sort of reminded me of
the old Newhart show... 'I'm Larry, this is my brother Daryll and my other
brother Daryll' - only not so pretty.  He struck me as being a little too
old to be a product of Maralinga, but perhaps the aging is just another
manifestation of gestation in the region.

>     Now, to soothe the inflamed sensibilities of the English and South
> Canadians - we really do aspire to better here in West Australia. As I
> removed the Redback spider from inside my T-shirt this afternoon -
cleaning
> out the studio shed - I quoted many famous phrases and sayings common in
the
> religious and gynacological spheres. These phrases are generally
attributed
> to the Anglo-Saxons, though I doubt it - many of them are long and complex
> words.

You can't call yourself a true Australian if you are unable to build a
complete sentence composed of nothing but off-colour words.  A special bonus
if you can include a preposition.

>     For those of you unfamiliar with the Redback, it is a larger and
> crabbier version of the Black Widow with a bright red streak down the
back.
> They make very poor webs - I daresay anything that bites that good does
not
> need to learn how to knit - and tend to like workshops, old cars, and
toilet
> seats. I long to see the Crocodile Hunter juggling a brace of them.

You mean Crikey?  I wonder who sells him his life insurance policy.  As for
the redbacks, you forgot my favorite hiding place - under the rim of
flowerpots.  I've seen more there than anywhere.  Lucky me, during my
sister-in-law's move I drew 'under the house'.  Don't know how many of the
things found the sole of my shoe during that work bee!

>     Their one failing is slowness. You can squash them with a clawhammer
> before they escape.

They should really trade bodies with the Huntsman spider.  They look like
they should be deadly.  Certainly the noises my wife makes when she finds
one in the shower would suggest a cross between the funnel web, taipan and
crocodile.  Like Crikey, these dangerous creatures are my friends.  Unlike
Crikey, the reason is that without them, I'd be doing a trans-pacific house
move!

Brock