[LargeFormat] Ground glass or etched

Philip J. McCourt largeformat@f32.net
Tue Dec 24 09:14:59 2002

Philip,
Why not just make your own? I have made a few of them now and they have
turned out very nice. The powder that I use is simply 600 grit.  Making
a ground glass should take about 20 minutes of your time. I simply buy a
cheap picture frame for  the glass.  The quality of the finished product
will amaze you, the image is bright enough to see in daylight without a
dark cloth.

The powder can be found at lapidary supply stores. (rock polishing
compound)  I have talked to people that have used fine rubbing compound
used for rubbing out auto finishes.  The stuff I use is a 600 grit
aluminum oxide. Just put a little bit of powder and a tiny bit of water
between 2 pieces of glass and start moving the glass in a circular
motion for about ten minutes. Wash it off and then check to see if the
glass is done yet. This method will give a very fine surface for the
image and is a joy to use and focus the camera. Also it is cheap enough
to carry a spare with you in your kit.

I have used acid etched glass and sandblasted glass and this homemade
glass is by far the best yet.

If there is enough interest I will put together a "how to" page on my
web site for making ground glass.
http://www.philsan.com

Philip McCourt